The Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception
The Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception is a private association of the faithful who, living in the world and participating in the spirituality, apostolate, and mission of the Congregation of Marian Fathers, particularly spread devotion to the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God and pray for the deceased, while striving for Christian perfection. The external sign of belonging to the Confraternity is the Blue Scapular.
Confraternity members share in the spiritual benefits of the Marians. They also have the privilege of obtaining a plenary indulgence on the day of admission into the Confraternity and conferral of the scapular, as well as on the other particular feasts and solemnities listed.
Obligations of Members
Members of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception assume specific responsibilities that refer to the spirituality of the Marian Fathers. Those who wear the Blue Scapular promise to fulfill certain obligations as members. These include:
• To strive for Christian perfection according to one’s state of life and according to the spirituality of the Congregation of Marian Fathers;
• To spread devotion to the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. and to assist the deceased suffering in Purgatory;
• To always, day and night, devoutly wear the Blue Scapular;
• To spread devotion to the Immaculate Conception of the Most B.V.M. by imitating Mary’s virtues, but above all by living in the state of grace;
• To continuously dedicate a certain amount of time to meeting the Lord in prayer, to frequently participate in the Eucharistic Sacrifice, and to meditate upon the Rosary;
• To recite and offer daily for the intention of the deceased the Chaplet of the Ten Evangelical Virtues of the B.V.M. or the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the Salve Regina prayer;
• To offer for the intentions of the Poor Souls their deeds of mercy, sufferings, and trials of life, as well as voluntary self-denial and mortification;
• To frequently invoke Mary’s protection with short ardent prayers;
• To participate in the life of their parish community and spread the scapular devotion.
Wearing the Blue Scapular
Those who belong to the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception and wear the Blue Scapular declare solemnly that they want to dedicate their lives to God alone, just as Mary did, by participating in the spirituality and privileges of the Marian Fathers. Although lay people admitted into the Confraternity are not obligated to abide by the strict discipline of this religious community, they must avoid sin and live in union with God with Mary Immaculate as their model.
These special graces and indulgences are granted only if people honor the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Mother through:
• Wearing the Blue Scapular day and night;
• Living a life of chastity according to their station in life;
• Showing special devotion to the Most Holy Virgin Mary in the mystery of her Immaculate Conception
• Praying for the conversion of sinners and for God’s mercy on the whole world.
The faithful who wear the Blue Scapular but are not formally aggregated (admitted into the Confraternity at the Marian Fathers and registered in its Book) belong to the broadly understood Theatine family.
Spiritual Benefits of Members
Confraternity members share in following the spiritual benefits of the Congregation of Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M.:
• Fruits of the daily Masses celebrated by the Marian priests, and Masses for the intentions of the living and deceased associates of the Congregation of Marian Fathers.
• The right to enroll their deceased loved ones in the Memorial of the Holy Masses celebrated by the Congregation in the entire month of November and in the Solemn Vespers sung during the Octave of All Souls’ Day.
• Fruits of the daily prayers recited by the members of the Congregation.
• Supernatural fruits of the merits, good deeds, and indulgences obtained by members of the Congregation.
How to Become a Member
If you wish to become a member of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, please contact:
National Shrine of The Divine Mercy
Stockbridge, MA 01262
To Learn More About the Confraternity and the Blue Scapular , Click Here